Tuesday, February 17, 2015

How to fuck up multiple times and go unpunished: A YCS Tacoma report

I wasn’t sure whether to post this or not given that I played a terrible deck and obviously scrubbed out, but there were enough entertaining moments that I thought it’d be worth it to share.

Rewind a month or 2, I actually wanted to go to the Pokemon TCG regionals in Oregon on the same weekend as this YCS aka Valentine’s weekend (but I am single atm so the date is irrelevant), but was not willing to drive down. My friend Tyler let me know that he had space in his car going down to the YCS, so I said I’d go down with him and 2 other friends. As it turns out, I later found out that there was a spot for me in another car to go play Pokemon, but I was locked in to going to YCS Tacoma.

Apart from Goat Control, I hadn’t touched yugioh in a while, so my brilliant idea was to enter the event with an Exodia deck. It sounded good in theory, like I would not have to conduct any research on the meta seeing as game after game and round after round, I would just be going through the self-touch motions. I later came to the realization that this was the biggest pile of bricks ever and that I would have to flip heads for Cup of Ace enough times to make up for starting with 5 cards (I would always want to go first so that the Royal Magical Library couldn’t get hit by Skill Drain / Book of Moon / Fire Lake / etc).

Enter that recent YCS where Volcanics went 10-0 in swiss. I realized that I had most of the cards within the assortment of Yugioh cards that I still owned, and spent a minor amount to pick up the cards I was missing to finish up the deck, while borrowing some of the pricier cards (aka $5+) because I couldn’t be bothered to pay for them.

So Thursday night, I get on DN with a friend and play some single games vs that storm Qliploth deck, trap-heavy Burning Abyss, and Necloth. I go 0-7 vs BA, won vs Qliphorts, and split games vs Necloth.
I came to the realization that Volcanics actually literally just suck (the deck would probably do well if it were 2010 Edison format or something), and I tell that to Urthor, who was messaging me on DN surprised that I was on the site playing yugioh.

Urthor, who I supposedly should never listen to when it comes to ygo (shoutouts to iSlickz), tells me that I should play Qli instead of Volcanics because it is easy and it is strong, and that he has a friend from California that could lend me the deck at the event, and teach me how to play the deck within an hour.
I go to bed because it is 4am, and that was the last I ever heard about the Qli deck that I could have borrowed etc, so I was locked into playing Shitcanics.


This is what I ended up registering:

3 Volcanic Rocket
3 Volcanic Shell
3 Volcanic Scattershot
3 Royal Firestorm Guards
2 Summoner Monk
2 Maxx “C”
1 Blaster
1 Volcanic Doomfire (honestly I just wanted to cheese people with this; I don’t think it’s actually all that good)
18

3 Pot of Duality
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Magic Planter
1 Snatch Steal
1 Raigeki
1 Foolish Burial
11

3 Vanity’s Emptiness
3 Blaze Accelerator Reload
3 Mind Crush
2 Dimensional Prison (these should have been Mirror Force tbh)
11

1 Lavalval Chain
1 Gagaga Cowboy
1 Abyss Dweller
12 irrelevant XYZ
15

2 Fire hand
2 Ice hand
2 Kycoo the ghost destroyer
2 Fairy wind
2 Anti-spell fragrance
2 Shadow imprisoning mirror
1 Dark hole
15

FRIDAY


I wake up around 9am, as the plan was to leave around noon (or earlier if possible), but one of the other guys going in the car, who we shall call “Michael”, actually had two exams that day and had completely neglected to tell us until the morning of. In the end, we didn’t leave Vancouver BC until 3pm, and as a result, we were going to miss pre-registration for sure. Admittedly, it’s not a big deal, but we kind of wanted to offload cards to people before the event actually started.
But no, that did not happen, so we deemed this to be a Fuck Up on Michael’s part.
Fuck Ups would be a recurring trend.

The car ride was mostly uneventful, except where the last guy in the car, who we shall call “Nigel”, sang along to multiple Kpop songs in his Californian surfer voice, up until we reached the Canada / U.S. border.

The conversation with the border guard went 99% like this:
Border guard: Where are you guys going and for how long?
Tyler: Tacoma for the weekend, for a Yugioh tournament. Yugioh is kind of like Magic and Pokemon.
Border guard: Oh cool. What decks are you guys playing?
Tyler: I am using the best deck (He means Qli; we would not find out until the event started that Necloth is just better)
Nigel: It’s really simple to play
Border guard: Haha simple doesn’t mean it’s good
Tyler: It’s also really good; so it’s easy to play, and good.
Me: As for me, I am playing with a suicide bomber deck

-IN MY MIND RIGHT AFTER THAT-

Wait, what did I just say?
Wait, we’re at the border.
WAIT, WHAT DID I JUST SAY?
SUICIDE BOMBER???

LUCKILY, instead of screaming at us to get out of the car with our hands over our heads and then detaining us for who knows how long, the border guard just laughed, and started talking about some comedian (Jeff Dunham?) and his ventriloquist terrorist suicide bomber puppet routine thing. All the while, the other 3 in the car were dead silent lol. Eventually, the border guard was like “Good luck guys!” and gave us our passports back, and we moved on with our lives, breathing sighs of relief.

At this point (or it might have been later) I christened our car as “Tyler, Nigel, and the Fuck Ups”

Flash forward to when we got to our hotel in Tacoma (not important, but it was the Holiday Inn Express a 5 minute walk away from the venue; we saw a lot of people entering and exiting the hotel and could tell just by looking who played Yugioh and who didn’t lol). Tyler headed inside to check us in, Nigel and Michael go in to check out snacks and/or take a dump, and I remain in the car.
Nigel comes back, and gets in the car.
Michael comes back, looks at the ground, and picks up a wallet by the car.

It’s Nigel’s wallet.

Obviously Nigel is super grateful that he didn’t lose his ID and his cash etc, but is somewhat disappointed that he just fucked up.
At this point, we became “Tyler and the Fuck Ups”
After we start unpacking in our hotel room, Nigel looks for his narcotics so that he can blaze at night and forget about what just transpired.
As it turns out, he brought his weed and the charger for his vaporizer, but forgot the actual vaporizer back at home. For whatever reason, we never bothered to hit up a dispensary the whole weekend, so it was a bit of a dry spell for Nigel and his weed fix.
(“Tyler and the Fuck Ups”)

We grab dinner at the old spaghetti factory nearby, finalize our decklists, and go to bed at like 3am like perfectly reasonable duelists.

SATURDAY


We get up, shower, and take advantage of the complimentary breakfast provided by the hotel. Everything was average, aside from the delicious warm and fluffy biscuits (or maybe they are actually average too, but it’s just that biscuits aren’t popular in our area, so we rarely get to experience them).

We get to the venue, open our terrible pity packs, and Nigel ends up selling his mediocre binder for $430. $430 might not sound like a lot, but it was actually pretty solid considering what the binder contained. Then we played yugioh.

Round 1
Table 191
LFN vs some guy (Masked Heroes)
The guy has all the accessories, like a spellground mat, calculator case, etc) so I assumed him to be one of the “pro players”, whatever that means nowadays, or a huge tool. Or both.
Game 1: I am unable to draw an out to Dark Law (sp?), and I get beaten to death.
Game 2: He calls a judge on me regarding a ruling concerning my Ice Hand, doesn’t like the judge’s answer, and appeals. The assistant head judge gives him the same answer, and he gets destroyed by the Hands.
Game 3: At one point, he finishes attacking, and attempts to go straight to the end phase. I tell him he can’t, and he calls for a judge. Everyone spectating, along with the judge, tells him he has to enter main phase 2 after exiting his battle phase. He looks super serious at the judge, says he doesn’t like that answer, and asks for another judge lol. He gets the same answer.  Eventually I’m down to 800 LP but he is literally topdecking vs my established board, and he loses.

1-0

Round 2
Table 9
LFN vs some girl (the trap version of Burning Abyss)
Game 1: She starts off with double Dante and a bunch of backrow IIRC. As the game progresses, I misplay and deserved to lose. I lose.
Game 2: I draw a slow hand and lose
Oops!

1-1

Round 3
Table 89
LFN vs some guy (the trap version of Burning Abyss)
Game 1: This guy did not draw nearly as optimal as the girl from the previous round, and I chip him out with multiple salvos of Volcanic Scattershot burn damage
Game 2: I think I killed him with Volcanic Doomfire? Nice guy though.

2-1

Round 4
Table 70
LFN vs some guy (Qliphort)
Game 1: Neither of us draw into monsters for the longest time. Any Scout he searches or plays gets hit by MST / Mind Crush. Eventually I draw into Rocket, and beat him down from there
Game 2: We get a game going, and eventually, he pays 800 for Scout to drop from 1900 LP to 1100 LP, and I send 3 Scattershots to grave to burn him for 1500 for game.

3-1

Round 5
Table 23
LFN vs the based Loli (Necloth)
Game 1: I open bricks aka 2 or more Shell / Scattershot, and then activate Pot of Duality, flipping over another Shell and another Scattershot. Dang. I play out a few turns to see what he has in his deck as far as the presence of any techs and such (seemed super standard to me) before conceding.
Game 2: I slow him down with Kycoo and Anti-Spell Fragrance, but couldn’t get to a Vanity’s Emptiness, and I get overwhelmed
At this point I readjust my anus after this brutal rape, conclude that the blue deck is very real and is most likely the best deck, and pray that I don’t end up facing any more.

3-2

Round 6
Table 84
LFN vs some white guy who forgets Scarm searches (Burning Abyss)
Game 1: I’m taken down to 1600, but manage to outgrind the guy and win the game
Game 2: I can’t deal and get blown out
Game 3: We are in time now, but it doesn’t end up mattering after I drop him from 6000 to 0 in one turn (Gagaga Cowboy swings over his lone Tour Guide for 2000, Royal Firestorm Guards hits directly for 1700, and Blaster hits for a final 2800)

4-2

Round 7
Table 37
LFN vs some Asian guy who forgets Scarm searches (Burning Abyss)
Game 1: He has no idea what Volcanics do and I kill him
Game 2: I can’t deal with his double Dante + backrow opening and I get demolished
Game 3: We enter time while I am precariously ahead of him 3400 LP to his 3300 LP. I stop drawing into trap cards, and he kills me on turn 4

RIP

4-3 drop

Michael and Tyler finished day 1with x-2 records playing Burning Abyss and Qliphort respectively, and were able to advance to Day 2. Nigel on the other hand, went 0-3 with Burning Abyss and dropped lol.

At some point in the day, I was approached out of nowhere by a fellow Asian by the name of Sunny Truong. The conversation went something like this:
Sunny: Hey you’re LFN I’m surprised you’re still around
Me: Herro sup yea I don’t actually play anymore but this event was close so here I am
Sunny: Out of curiosity, who is your favorite Nisekoi character?
Now I haven’t actually watched any anime whatsoever in a long time, well, for probably over 6 months now? The last thing I finished was season 1 of Gundam Build Fighters I think? However, I do have friends who’ve seen Nisekoi and when prompted would rave about how good it is, so I admit that I haven’t seen it but would probably pick “the blonde girl”.
Out of nowhere, he brings out a deck box, and hands me what I presume to be a holo token card thing featuring that character, and tells me I can have it.
I sheepishly admit that I have nothing that I can offer him in return (all I had on me cards-wise was my deck and a goat format deck), but thank him and accept the card anyway.
I show the card to my friends later, and they were like: “Dude that’s a RRR (triple R) rarity Weiss Schwarz card, man. He just GAVE it to you?”
I checked on eBay last night and this thing goes for $40 lol, but I am very appreciative of what it is and how this all went down, so I will keep it (Thanks, duelist). By that I mean that I was never a top level player, all I did was maintain a blog, and now I don’t even play anymore, so the fact that someone can recognize me for something like that was pretty cool.

We end up eating dinner with some of our American duelist friends feat. Kyle Palsson, and vegetate in our hotel room before going to sleep.

SUNDAY


Tyler and Michael leave early to play Rounds 9 and 10, while Nigel and I have a bit more time to sleep, eat breakfast, etc
When we reached the venue, Round 10 (?) just ended, and both Tyler and Michael were out. Tyler had joined with 2 other players from our area for the 3v3 tournament, and at this point, Nigel and I asked Michael if he wanted to enter the 3v3 with us. He initially agreed, but at that moment…

Enter Nigel’s Marvel buddy, and some girl.
Marvel buddy: “HEY NIGEL! We want to play in the 3v3, but we’re short a person! Come join our team!”
Nigel responds half-jokingly: “Sure, but only if you guys can lend me the blue deck.”
The girl chimes in at this point: “Ok I can lend you the blue deck”
It seemed like a match made in heaven at this point. A friend who plays Marvel, a girl, and access to the blue deck. Just what could go wrong for Nigel?
A lot, apparently.
Or rather, everything.

Keep in mind that at this point, the Marvel buddy and the girl had yet to find out that Nigel had gone 0-X the day before in the main event lol

Michael and I went to enter the regional side events (tl;dr I lost round 2 when I opened up 3 shell and a scattershot vs Qlis and got beaten down), and when we came back to watch Nigel play, he was using his fucking Burning Abyss deck, the Marvel buddy was using Infernoids of all things, and the girl was “playing” Necloth. “Playing” is used very loosely, because despite stating that she was “very comfortable” with the Necloth deck, she clearly had absolutely no idea what she was doing, and as a result, Nigel was essentially playing 2 decks in the 3v3, as he had to deal with his own matches, while simultaneously trying to coach her on how to play her own deck.
As we later found out, she had gone 0-X with Necloth day 1 lol.
As for her results in the 3v3?
She lost every single match she played.
In summation, Nigel got honeypotted a la The Interview.
(“Tyler and the Fuck Ups”)

As a side note, it turns out that the Marvel buddy had just met the girl earlier, so they weren’t actually friends who knew each other beforehand, and teamed up with her because she had the full Necloth deck and was “hitting on him”. Oops lol

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. That is, until we were leaving.
Nigel had picked up one of the uncut sheets of ultra rares off one of the players that had won it, for $75 (he also bought a bunch of mats, including the Shaddoll mat and the Dark Magician Girl judge mat, but I digress).
We headed back to the parkade, and he put the uncut sheet on top of Tyler’s car along with his drink, as we stuffed our bags into the trunk. We piled into the car, and drove off, intending to meet up with some American duelist friends feat. Kyle Palsson for dinner.

15 minutes later, as we were cruising down the highway, Nigel exclaims: “OH SHIT I THINK I JUST LOST $75!”
We were puzzled until we realized that Nigel had left his uncut sheet on top of the car when we drove out of the parkade
(“Tyler and the Fuck Ups”)

After some persuading (“You won’t know if you don’t try”), we doubled back to look for it of course, and LUCKILY, the uncut sheet was just lying there on the ground in the parkade, instead of having been snapped up by some lucky duelist like Nigel thought would have happened for sure.

Later, after we did some grocery shopping, crossed the border, etc, as we were dropping Nigel off at home, he took his bags from the trunk and walked towards his place, forgetting his uncut sheet AGAIN. That’s twice he’s done that within a span of 5-6 hours lol.
(“Tyler and the Fuck Ups”)

+ “Tyler and the Fuck Ups”
+ Shitcanics
+ Biscuits
+ free card out of nowhere (Thanks, duelist)
+ Kyle Palsson for being Kyle Palsson

- Shitcanics
- Yugioh
- The Canadian dollar being terrible

5 comments:

  1. Sigh, the way you built your volcanic deck was not good at all.

    Blaster is not good because it's not ideal to banish any of your fire cards. You don't want your Royal Firestorm Guards to be a dead draw due to lack of 4 pyros.
    Magic Planter needs more targets for activation. That's why the top volcanic deck ran 3x Fiendish chain. Also, you need fiendish chain to save you from the Nekroz match up.
    Dimension Prison is a little slow. If you had a choice, you should have played Magic Cylinder instead of this. Focusing on a burn goal instead of a beatdown/burn goal is ideal.

    I have a suspicoun that you were activating/banishing Blaze Accelerator Reload too quickly. You should always activate it when you find it optimal to "Raigeki" your opponent's field.

    You're lucky you weren't detained at the border! You could have gotten those "NEVER ENTER USA" again labels on your PERMANENT record! Man, if they discovered Nigel's stash of narcotics, you guys would have been done. No yugioh for the weekend.

    Finally, no pictures this time!! We want to see this girl! And a cameo of Sunny Truong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think blaster is ok, I mostly used it for its destruction effect I think; i only banished scattershots / shells for its effect when i was at low LP, or when i was going for game

      Yea I included 2 fiendish chains the next day for the side event i entered. Entering the tournament, I thought Qlis and BA would still be the most popular decks (little did I know that people were more than willing to drop $$$ for Necloth), and Fiendish Chain is pretty mediocre in those 2 matchups. Against Qli, I don't want to use Fiendish at all unless it's to block an attack, and against BA, the only thing I can really hit I guess is Tour Guide, and locking a Dante in atk position

      dw I didn't banish it just to deal 1500 if that's what you were implying

      Yea I know, that could have gone real bad lol

      Ye no pics sorry
      The girl to me is realistically like a 5/10 tbh, but for all the thirsty duelists at the event, she was probably a 11/10 ~~~('~')~~~

      Delete
  2. Hey there LFN, Sunny Truong here and I just wanted to thank you for posting something on your blog again. It's always a really nice read to be honest.

    I honestly thought you were playing B.A. the whole YCS. That and I wish I actually entered the event instead of signing up for all the side events ;-;

    OH YEAH about the Nisekoi Card. I would've ended up giving you a holo of whatever girl you chose anyways haha (IF YOU HAD CHOSEN MARIKA I WOULD'VE GIVEN YOU A SIGNED VERSION OF HER)

    I hope to meet you at some random event and I'm always gonna be looking forward to whatever you post next on your blog!

    Fellow Doolist, Sunny~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dueler

      Nah I sold a large portion of my cards (including Dantes, Virgils, etc) a while back; all I have left is my Goat control deck, and random stuff for volcanics, gadgets, mythic rulers, wind ups, etc, along with staples like MST, Vanity's Emptiness, Mirror Force, and so on. I probably should have tested more for the event though, so that I would be better prepared for the Necloth matchup.

      I probably could have borrowed the stuff to play BA, but having been away from ygo, there's no way I would have been able to compete with the people that have been grinding with BA ever since the new ones were released in Secrets of Eternity or w/e that set is. I'll remember my Scarm searches, but that's about it haha

      Oh honestly it doesn't matter what the value of the card is tbh, like it could have been a common for all I care. It's the thought that counts, which makes things priceless (cliche but true). More than anything, I'm just surprised there are people out there that still remember me / this blog. I don't actually play weiss schwarz though so I suppose I'll use it as a Scapegoat token or something when I play goat format with people.

      ye if there's another YCS in the Seattle area I'll /probably/ try to go, again just because it's close, and so that I can see my American friends, so keep an eye out I suppose

      Delete
  3. After being on a bit of a YGO-hiatus myself, I thought I'd go and look up what you've been doing.
    And you've become a suicide bomber? I'm so dissappointed in you, LFN :-O

    Anyhow, fun read ;-)

    ReplyDelete